Tofu Taco Bowls
- 40 Minutes
- Serves 8
This is such an easy recipe – basically, if you can prepare a few veggies by cutting and shredding, and if you can open a can and use a skillet, you can make this recipe. It’s fool proof; I swear! I really wanted the taste and texture of taco-flavoured beef, but opted for a vegetarian version, which is why I substituted in the tofu. Many people don’t realize that when fried, tofu takes on a meat-like texture and can absorb just about any flavour you pair with it – hence, the perfect ingredient to take on those strong taco flavours from the seasoning packet. Get the kids involved when making this for dinner – trust me; it’s a very family-friendly recipe. And, each person at your dinner table can top the bowls their way – no fighting! 😉
Submitted by Byron Thomas at Pretty Practical Pantry
- 1 package OLD EL PASO Tortilla Bowls
- 1 package OLD EL PASO Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 jar OLD EL PASO Salsa of your choice
- 2 350g packages extra firm tofu, crumbled into small bite-sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 limes
- Green onion, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 100 degrees. Remove the tortilla bowls from the packaging, and place individually on a baking sheet. Place in oven to warm - do not bake - just warm!
- Begin by heating the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the crumbled tofu and stir to coat with the oil. Allow to sauté for 15 minutes, stirring often. At the 15 minute mark, add the taco seasoning mix and stir well to coat. Sauté for 5 minutes more.
- In the meantime, prepare all of the veggies and toppings as per the ingredient list and place in separate bowls (if you plan family assembly style)
- To assemble, add the lettuce to the bowl, followed by the tomatoes, red onions, black beans, corn, and avocado. Spritz with the fresh lime juice.
- Next, add the tofu, a small amount of the shredded cheese, a tablespoon or so of sour cream and salsa, a little more shredded cheese, and garnish with the green onions.
- Serve with a bowl of chips with extra salsa, sour cream, and guacamole. Enjoy!