Vegetarian Quinoa Taco Bowls
- 30 Minutes
Taco Tuesday is K’s absolute favourite dinner time of the week and we all look forward to it. We’ve been trying to switch it up so we’re not eating the same tacos with fillings week after week. We love mixing up the fillings, and recently, we switched up our usual taco wraps for the fun OLD EL PASO tortilla bowls and made some delicious vegetarian quinoa taco bowls. They were a huge hit!
Submitted by Megan Powell at Hen Family
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa
- 1 cup veggie broth
- 1/2 teaspoon each: cumin, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon chili powder (this is for a kid-friendly recipe but go ahead and add more chili powder if you like spice!)
- 1/2 head shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 each red pepper and orange pepper
- 1/4 cup cooked corn kernals
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- 2 green onions, diced
- guacamole (we used our homemade that we made for our taco dip, but you can also use store-bought)
- any other preferred toppings or sauces, such as salsa or sour cream
- Add quinoa, veggie broth and spices into a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer and cook until stock is absorbed and quinoa is done – approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In the meantime, chop up all the veggies and get the fixings ready.
- To assemble quinoa taco bowls, simply place one bowl on a plate and line it with the lettuce. Add the quinoa mixture next and then add the peppers, corn and cheese. Top with your choice of sauces – we used guacamole and salsa, but sour cream would also be delicious here. Sprinkle with the green onions. Serve.