Slow Cooker Party Tacos
- Serves 8
No need to worry with this Mexican favourite; Old El Paso* Taco Seasoning and Shells makes it ultra-easy.
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 packages Old El PasoTM Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Old El PasoTM Thick N' Chunky Salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 3 boxes Old El PasoTM Stand 'n Stuff* Taco Shells
- Layered Taco Toppings
- 3 cans (12 oz/341 mL) Green GiantTM NibletsTM Whole Kernel Corn, drained
- 5 1/2 cups (1.375 mL) shredded lettuce
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped red, yellow and/or green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sliced green onions
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Old El PasoTM Thick N' Chunky Salsa
- 2 cups (500 mL) finely shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook ground beef in 2 batches. For first batch, spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray. Add half of the ground beef and 1 chopped onion. Cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
- Stir in 1 package taco seasoning mix, 3/4 cup salsa and 1/2 cup water. Reduce heat to low; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Cool first batch of beef mixture 15 minutes. Spoon into refrigerator or freezer container; cover tightly. Repeat to make second batch. Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 24 hours or freeze up to 1 week.
- To serve immediately, place beef mixture in slow cooker; keep warm on Low setting. If beef mixture is frozen, thaw before heating. Place beef mixture in slow cooker; cover and cook on High setting for 1 hour or until hot. Reduce heat to Low to keep warm. To serve, spoon beef mixture into taco shells. Top with Layered Taco Toppings.
- To make Layered Taco Toppings, heat oven to 425ºF. Spray 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Dry corn on paper towels; spread corn in sprayed pan. Bake at 425ºF for 15 minutes. Stir; bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes or until slightly cooled.
- In ungreased 13x9-inch (3 quart) glass baking dish, layer lettuce, bell pepper, roasted corn, onions, tomatoes and avocado.
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise and salsa; mix well. Spread over vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Cover tightly; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Tip: It's easy to double or triple this recipe for larger groups. Cook the meat mixture in batches, cool and refrigerate it or freeze it as directed in the recipe.
- Tip: This recipe combines all of the taco topping ingredients in a layered "salad". This method of layering the toppings will help people move through the buffet line faster.