Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Taco Bowls
- 30 Minutes
- Serves 4
One of our favourite family cuisines is Mexican. Not only is it simple to make (perfect for this busy family), it is so varied - from tacos to enchiladas to rice dishes - and is often accompanied by fresh produce. On a recent trip to the market with my little family unit, I was inspired by the locally grown and raised onions and pork to create these delicious pulled pork taco bowls. If you're into fresh ingredients, supporting local, slow cooker meals or just trying something new, this recipe is for you. It may look like a lot of ingredients, but trust me, using the slow cooker makes it easy - just set it and forget it - giving you more time to enjoy with your family.
Submitted by Mar Ward at To & Fro
- 1 pork tenderloin
- 1 127mL can of OLD EL PASO chopped green chillies
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1-2 cups chicken stock
- 2 avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 2 limes, sliced into wedges
- green onion, cilantro or parsley (optional garnishes)
- 8 OLD EL PASO tortilla bowls
- Combine the seasonings (chilli powder, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper) to make a dry rub.
- Pat dry the pork and rub on the seasoning mixture.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet on high heat. Brown the pork on all sides.
- Immediately after removing the pork from the pan, deglaze with a bit of stock or white wine. Add the deglazed bits to the slow cooker.
- Add minced onion, green chillies, chicken stock and pork to the slow cooker. Set on low heat and allow to cook for 6-8 hours.
- Once pork is cooked, use two forks to shred. Toss shredded pork in liquid to combine. Keep warm in the slow cooker.
- Meanwhile, combine mayo and sriracha to make a spicy mayo sauce.
- Warm OLD EL PASO tortilla bowls in the microwave for approximately 10 seconds to soften.
- Assemble the bowls by layering pulled pork, shredded cabbage, sliced avocado and drizzle of spicy mayo. Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped green onions, sprig of cilantro or parsley and wedge of lime.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!