Cannoli Mini Taco Bowls
Total Time 1 Hours
- 1 container (15 oz/426 g) whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) grated orange peel
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 12 Old El Paso™ mini tortilla bowls
- 6 teaspoons (30 mL) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Fresh mint leaves, if desired
- In medium bowl, beat ricotta cheese, whipping cream, icing sugar, vanilla and orange peel with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Cover and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, in deep fryer or 3-quart (3 L) heavy-bottomed pot, heat at least 2 inches (5 cm) oil to 350°F. In large resealable food-storage plastic bag, add granulated sugar and cinnamon.
- Place bowls in batches in preheated oil; fry 1 minute on each side, using tongs to turn bowls halfway through, until lightly brown all over. Drain bowls upside down on paper towel-lined cookie sheet until slightly cool; toss 4 bowls at a time in cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. Remove to cooling rack to cool completely.
- Just before serving, remove filling from refrigerator, and fill decorating bag fitted with large piping star tip. Pipe filling into cooled bowls, and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Top with mint leaves. Serve immediately. Store any remaining filled bowls in refrigerator.
- No decorating bag? Fill large resealable freezer bag; cut off one bottom corner, and squeeze filling into each bowl. Using a candy thermometer/deep frying thermometer helps to ensure correct temperature when frying to give best results.