Spicy Sausage-Cranberry-Baked Bean Ragout
Total Time 30 Minutes
- 1 to 3 tsp (5 to 15 mL) oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped onions
- 1 lb (500 g) fully cooked smoked sausage links, skin removed if desired, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tsp (10 mL) cumin seed
- 2 cans (14 FL oz/398 mL each) baked beans
- 1 can Old El Paso* Chopped Green Chiles
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) canned whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) crushed red pepper flakes
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, if desired
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions and smoked sausage; cook 7 to 10 minutes or until sausage is browned and onions are tender, stirring frequently. Add cumin seed; cook 1 minute. Drain.
- Add beans, green chiles, cranberry sauce, dried cranberries and chipotle chile; mix well. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, spoon into serving bowl. Garnish with cilantro. If desired, serve with French bread.