Beef Chimichanga Tortilla Bowls
Prep 35 Minutes
Total Time 35 Minutes
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 lb (500 g) extra-lean ground beef
- 1 medium chopped onion (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) diced tomatoes, drained (or half 28 oz/796 mL can)
- 1 can (127 mL) Old El Paso™ chopped green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package (8 count) Old El Paso™ Tortilla Bowls
- 1 cup (from 398 mL can) Old El Paso™ refried beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese (4 oz)
- Shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and salsa, if desired
- In deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat at least 2 inches oil to 350°F.
- Heat oven to 400°F. In 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat 4 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked. Add drained tomatoes, chilies, chili powder and cumin. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture has thickened and liquid has reduced. Remove from heat.
- Using fork, poke holes several times in bottom of each tortilla bowl. Place tortilla bowls in batches in preheated oil; fry 1 to 2 minutes, using tongs to turn bowls halfway through, until lightly brown all over. Drain tortilla bowls upside down on paper towel-lined cookie sheet.
- Spread 2 tablespoons refried beans over bottom of each fried bowl. Add heaping 1/3 cup beef mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese to each bowl. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with shredded lettuce, sour cream, guacamole and salsa.
- Using a candy thermometer/deep frying thermometer helps to ensure correct temperature when frying to give best results.
- Try Monterey Jack cheese for a new flavour twist!