Greek Grilled Cheese Tacos
- Extra Mild
- 30 Minutes
- Serves 8
This Mediterranean-inspired dish reinvents the familiar grilled cheese sandwich in taco form. Grilled Greek halloumi cheese, fresh veggies and herbs are stuffed in a flour tortilla for a portable, fun new take on the sandwich.
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced English (seedless) cucumber
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cherry or grape tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced red or yellow bell pepper strips
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) pitted kalamata olives, cut in half
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
- Dash coarse (kosher or sea) salt
- Dash freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz (250 g) halloumi cheese (not sliced)
- 8 Old El Paso* Medium Flour Tortillas
- Trim ends from zucchini. Use a vegetable peeler to make long, thin ribbons of zucchini. For veggie filling, place zucchini ribbons, lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, olives and basil in large bowl. For dressing, in small bowl, beat oil, lemon juice, salt and black pepper with whisk; pour over vegetable mixture, and toss to coat.
- Heat gas or charcoal grill. Cut block of cheese in half horizontally to form 2 blocks. Place both blocks of cheese directly on grill over high heat. Cook uncovered 4 to 6 minutes, turning once, until browned. Remove from grill. Cut each grilled cheese block into 12 cubes to make 24 cubes.
- Heat tortillas on grill about 30 seconds or until warm, turning once. Fill tortillas with veggie filling, and top with grilled cheese.
Did You Know? : Halloumi cheese is a firm white cheese made from sheep's milk. It browns and keeps its shape when grilled.