Healthified Salsa-Beef Chili
- 50 Minutes Total
- 8 Servings
- 1 lb (500 g) extra lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup/250 mL)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14 oz/398 mL each) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 jar (440 mL) Old El Paso* Thick N' Chunky Salsa (about 1 3/4 cups/425 mL)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) dark red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- Reduced fat sour cream, if desired
- Chopped green onion, if desired
- In 4-quart nonstick Dutch oven, cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain. Return to Dutch oven. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except sour cream and green onions. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened. To serve, top individual servings with sour cream and green onions.
- "What is "Healthified"? We've replaced ingredients with great-tasting alternatives to create better-for-you recipes that are just as yummy as the originals.
- Tip: Get every ounce of flavour from the tomato sauce by rinsing any remaining sauce from the can with the 1/2 cup water.
- Substitution: Black-eyed peas or pinto beans make tasty subs for the kidney or black beans.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve with a variety of toppings, such as shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese or chopped cilantro.