Mexican Meatball Subs
- 40 Minutes
- Serves 4
- Sandwiches & Wraps
For the big, hungry appetites in your family.
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1 pkg (35 g) Old El PasoTM Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups (400 mL) Old El PasoTM Thick N' Chunky Salsa
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine beef, spice mix, bread crumbs, egg, and 1/4 cup (50 mL) salsa. Form into 1-inch (2.5 cm) meatballs.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Brown meatballs in two batches, about 5 minutes each.
- Add remaining salsa; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover, and cook 10 minutes.
- Spoon meatballs and sauce into sliced buns, sprinkled with cheese and green onion.
- Kitchen Tips: Add ground pork, veal or chicken to the ground beef for a great-tasting flavour variation. Add herbs such as oregano, basil, thyme or parsley for added punch.
- Time Savers: Make Ahead: Assemble, refrigerate up to 24 hours and reheat. Double up recipe, cool before freezing and freeze in individual containers for up to 3 months.