- 45 Minutes
- Serves 30
No need to worry with this Mexican favourite; pre-mixed seasoning and packaged shells makes it ultra-easy.
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) lean ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 pouches Old El PasoTM Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Old El PasoTM Thick N' Chunky Salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 3 pkgs Old El PasoTM Stand N' Stuff Taco Shells
- Cook ground beef in 2 batches. For first batch, spray large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add half of the ground beef and 1 chopped onion. Cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain.
- Stir in 1 pouch taco seasoning mix, 3/4 cup salsa and 1/2 cup water. Reduce heat to low; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Cool first batch of beef mixture 15 minutes. Spoon into refrigerator or freezer container; cover tightly. Repeat to make second batch. Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 24 hours or freeze up to 1 week.
- To serve immediately, place beef mixture in slow cooker; keep warm on Low setting. If beef mixture is frozen, thaw before heating. Place beef mixture in slow cooker; cover and cook on High setting for 1 hour or until hot. Reduce heat to Low to keep warm. To serve, spoon beef mixture into taco shells. Top with Layered Taco Toppings (left).
- Tip : It's easy to double or triple this recipe for larger groups. Cook the meat mixture in batches, cool and refrigerate it or freeze it as directed in the recipe.