- 1 Hour 5 Minutes
- Serves 30
- Appetizers & Snacks
A spicy twist on the traditional dish, these meatballs are rolling with flavour.
- 2 cups (500 mL) CHEERIOS* cereal, finely crushed
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef, turkey or chicken
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) uncooked converted brown rice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
- 1 pkg (39 g) Old El Paso* Chili Seasoning Mix or 1 pkg (35 g) Old El Paso* Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 egg
- 3 cups (750 mL) tomato juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- Heat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In large bowl, mix cereal, beef, rice, milk, chili or taco seasoning mix and egg. Shape mixture into 30 meatballs. Place in ungreased 9x13-inch (23x33 cm) rectangular baking pan.
- Combine tomato juice and water. Pour over meatballs; stir gently.
- Cover and bake 50 to 60 minutes or until rice is tender, beef is no longer pink in center and juice is thickened.
To easily crush cereal: Place in a plastic bag or between sheets of wax paper and crush with rolling pin. A blender can also be used to crush cereal. Evenly shaped meatballs are easy to make: Pat the meat mixture into the baking pan and cut into 6 rows by 5 rows. Roll the squares into balls and return to the pan to bake.