Slow Cooker Taco Chili Soup
Total 3 Hours 12 Minutes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 pkg (12 count) Old El Paso Hard Taco Dinner Kit
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) chili powder
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 2 cans (398 mL) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (540 mL/19 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (127 mL) Old El Paso Chopped Green Chiles, divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen sweet corn
- Garnish Options: Sliced jalapeño, sliced radish, sour cream, queso or feta cheese, cilantro, tomatoes, lime wedges, shredded cheddar
- Heat oil in an extra-large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and half of the taco spice, cumin, chili powder, and salt and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until no pink remains. Push to one side of the pan and add onion and garlic; cook, stirring until softened 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the beef and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, and taco sauce then scrape into a slow cooker insert.
- Stir in tomatoes, black beans, and half of the green chilies. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours or low for 6 to 8 hours. Stir in corn the 10 minutes before serving.
- Ladle into bowls and top with broken taco shells, remaining green chilies, and a few garnish options: jalapeño, radish, sour cream, Queso fresco, cilantro, tomatoes, limes, shredded cheddar.
- Cooking the beef and onion mixture in a skillet creates browning and depth of flavour, stirring in the broth ensures all the flavour is transferred to the slow cooker.
- While we love traditional black beans in our chili soup, feel free to swap for lentils, chickpeas or navy beans.
- Queso fresco is a mild and crumbly Mexican fresh cheese traditionally made of cow’s milk or a mix of cow and goat milk that balances Mexican recipes.