Spinach and Cheese Calzone
- 35 Minutes Total
- 6 Servings
- 1 pkg (300 g) frozen cut leaf spinach
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) chopped onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 cans (235 g) Pillsbury* Italian Pizza Crust
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) sesame seed OR Parmesan Cheese
- Old El Paso* Thick N' Chunky Salsa - optional
- Heat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Cook spinach according to package directions. Drain well, pressing excess moisture out with paper towels.
- In medium skillet, cook garlic, onion and basil in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in salt and pepper, mixing well.
- In medium bowl, combine spinach, onion mixture, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese and egg yolk, mixing until well blended. Unroll well-chilled dough and cut into 8 rectangles.
- Press or roll each piece into a 5x7-inch (12x17 cm) rectangle. Spread 1/4 cup (50 mL) spinach cheese mixture in middle of dough leaving 1/2" (1 cm) edge to seal.
- Fold dough over, press edges with fingers or fork to seal and cut small vents in the top; place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Brush with slightly beaten egg white; sprinkle with sesame seeds or Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with salsa for dipping.
- Create a new taste experience by introducing a variety of cheese such as feta, goat and ricotta to your calzone.