Tex Mex Salsa Cheeseburgers
- 35 Minutes Total
- 4 Servings
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) dry breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Old El Pasoᵀᴹ Chopped Green Chilies
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Old El Pasoᵀᴹ Thick N' Chunky Salsa
- 4 hamburger buns
- tomato slices and lettuce leaves
- In bowl, stir together beef, breadcrumbs, onion, chilies, egg, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Using half of the beef mixture, form four equal hamburger patties, each about 1/2 inch (1.25 cm) thick.
- Place 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the shredded cheese in the centre of each patty.
- Using remaining beef mixture, form four more patties and place one on top of each cheese-topped patty, pinching edges to seal.
- Grill over medium-hot coals on a greased grill for 6 to 7 minutes per side or until no longer pink inside.
- Just before removing from grill, spoon 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the salsa on each burger to heat through.
- Place burgers in buns and garnish with tomato slices and lettuce leaves or top as desired.
- Never press down on your burgers while grilling as this causes the juices to run out, resulting in a dry tasteless eating experience.