Red Bean and Rice Cakes
Total 45 Minutes
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) uncooked regular long-grain white rice
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 cup (250 mL) Fibre 1* Original Cereal
- 2 cans (540 mL each) dark red kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) diced green pepper
- 1 egg or 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground red pepper (cayenne)
- Salad greens, if desired
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Old El Paso* Thick N' Chunky Salsa
- Cook rice in water as directed on package. Meanwhile, place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or crush in food processor).
- In large bowl, place beans; mash with potato masher or fork. Stir in onion, bell pepper, cooked rice, egg, chili powder, cumin, red pepper and 2 tablespoons of the cereal. Shape into 8 patties; coat patties completely with remaining cereal.
- Spray 10-inch skillet with cooking spray. Cook 4 patties in skillet over medium heat about 10 minutes, turning once, until brown. Remove patties from skillet. Cover and keep warm while cooking remaining patties.
- Serve patties on salad greens; top with salsa.
- Cumin is the dried fruit of a plant in the parsley family. Store it in a cool, dark place.