Grilled Zesty Lemon Spareribs
- 8 Hour 30 Minutes
- Serves 8
Mmm Mmm--grilled lip-smackin' lemony ribs made with meat, frozen lemonade and a favorite barbecue sauce!
- 6 pounds (3 kg) pork spareribs, cut into serving pieces
- 1 cup (250 mL) ketchup
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Old El Paso* Thick N' Chunky Salsa
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) liquid-smoke
- 1 can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- Place pork in 4-quart Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover pork. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 1 hour 30 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat ketchup, salsa, brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice and liquid smoke to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in lemonade concentrate. Set aside.
- Remove pork to rectangular baking dish, 13x9x2 inches, or resealable food-storage plastic bag. Pour marinade over pork; turn pork to coat. Cover dish or seal bag and refrigerate, turning pork occasionally, at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Heat coals or gas grill for direct heat. Remove pork from marinade; reserve marinade. Grill pork, meaty sides up, uncovered and 4 inches from medium heat about 30 minutes, turning and brushing frequently with marinade, until glazed and heated through. Discard any remaining marinade.
Serve-With: Serve these sweet, lemony ribs with a platter of farmers' market veggies hot off the grill. Most vegetables can be grilled in 10 to 15 minutes. How-To: Zippered food-storage plastic bags are great for mess-free marinating. Place meat and marinade in bag and squeeze out all the air, allowing marinade to completely coat the food. When it's time to grill, take the bag outside and transfer the marinated meat to the grill.