Salsa Meat Loaf
- 1 Hour 40 Minutes
- Serves 6
Serve meat loaf with a little sass. High fibre cereal and salsa sets this meat loaf apart.
- 1 cup (250 mL) Fibre 1* original cereal
- 1 cup (250 mL) Old El Paso* Thick N’ Chunky Salsa
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) pepper
- 1 1/2 lb (750g) lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Old El Paso* Thick N’ Chunky Salsa
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and finely crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or finely crush in food processor).
- In large bowl, stir together cereal and 1 cup salsa (mixture will be thick). Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper to cereal mixture; stir until blended. Add ground beef; stir until well mixed. Press evenly in ungreased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour 5 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes or until meat thermometre inserted in centre of loaf reads 160°F. Cover; let stand 5 to 10 minutes. Drain and discard liquid before slicing. Serve with 1/2 cup salsa.
For a spicier flavour, use the hot variety of Old El Paso* Thick N’ Chunky Salsa.