Slow Cooker Chipotle Pork Roast
Total Time 6 Hours 25 Minutes
- 1 pouch Old El Paso* Chili Seasoning Mix
- 9 small unpeeled red potatoes, quartered
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled, quartered
- 1 medium onion, cut into 3/4-inch wedges (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 boneless pork shoulder roast (2 1/2 tp 3 lb/1.25 to 1.5 kg)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato sauce
- 1 can (384 mL) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 canned chipotle chile in abodo sauce, finely chopped (about 1/2 tablespoon) (from 200 g can)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cornstarch
- Spray 5- to 6- quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. In large bowl, mix chili seasoning mix, potatoes, sweet potatoes and onion to bowl; stir to coat. Place vegetables in slow cooker.
- Remove netting from pork. Rub oil over pork; roll in spices in bowl to cover. Place pork over vegetables. Pour tomato sauce, tomatoes and chopped chile over pork and vegetables.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove pork and vegetables from cooker; cover to keep warm. Pour sauce from cooker into 3-quart saucepan. In small bowl, mix water and cornstarch; stir into sauce. Cook over high heat 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. Serve sauce with pork and vegetables.
- Make sure the potatoes are mostly covered with the liquid to prevent browning.
- Feel free to use whatever kind of potatoes you have on hand- just make sure they are cut to the same size to ensure doneness.