Slow Cooker Three-bean Chili
Total Time 55 Minutes
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried lentils (8 oz), sorted and rinsed
- 1 large vegetable bouillon cube, crumbled
- 1 pouch Old El Paso* Chili Seasoning Mix
- 3 cups (750 mL) water
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) tomato sauce
- Mix all ingredients except tomatoes and tomato sauce in 3- to 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Increase heat setting to high. Cover and cook 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Success: Tomatoes and tomato products keep dry beans and other legumes from softening even after hours of cooking. That's why we wait until the beans and lentils are tender before adding the canned tomatoes and tomato sauce in this recipe.
- Serve with: Add corn muffins from the bakery to round out this make-ahead meal.