Southwestern Turkey Soup
- 30 Minutes Total
- 4 Servings
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 medium green bell peppers, cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) cubed, peeled, cooked butternut squash
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cooked turkey or chicken
- 2 cups (500 mL) chicken broth
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) Old El Pasoᵀᴹ Refried Black Beans
- 1 package Old El PasoTM Smart Fiestaᵀᴹ Reduced Sodium Taco Seasoning Mix
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat; add bell peppers. Cook 6 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until peppers are almost crisp-tender. Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently to prevent sticking to bottom of pan. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to blend flavours.
- Cut-up, ready-to-cook squash can be found in the produce section of many grocery stores and club stores during the fall and winter.
- Are you using leftover cooked squash that's already mashed? Simply stir it in with other ingredients for a thicker soup.