Tex-Mex Meat Loaf
Total Time 1 Hours 10 Minutes
- 1 1/2 lb (750 g) extra-lean ground beef
- 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fat-free egg product
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) plain bread crumbs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt-free garlic-and-herb seasoning
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- Old El Paso* Thick 'n Chunky Salsa, if desired
- Heat oven to 375ºF. In large bowl, mix all ingredients except salsa. Spoon mixture into 11x7-inch (2-quart) glass baking dish; pat into 9x5-inch loaf.
- Bake uncovered about 1 hour or until meat thermometre inserted in centre reads 160ºF. Drain any liquid before slicing. Serve with salsa.
- You can make this meat loaf in a 9x5-inch loaf pan, but patting it into a loaf in a slightly larger pan allows a nice brown surface to form on the top and sides.
- Small cans of tomatoes with green chilies are available in a couple of brands. They are sometimes found in the Mexican foods section and sometimes are with the canned vegetables. If you can't find a 10-ounce can, use a little more than 1 cup from a 14.5-ounce can of Mexican-flavoured diced tomatoes.