Vegetarian Sweet Potato and Black Bean Whole Wheat Tortilla Bowls
Prep 40 Minutes
Total 50 Minutes
- 1 1/4 lb (625 g) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 poblano chiles, stems and seeds removed, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 package (8 count) Old El Paso™ Whole Grain Tortilla Bowls or Old El Paso™ Tortilla Bowls
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Heat oven to 425°F. Place sweet potatoes on large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the oil over potatoes, and season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Toss to coat.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender and lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat lime juice and honey. Set aside.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Stir in poblano chiles, onion, oregano, chipotle powder, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to combine. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables are just tender. Add roasted sweet potatoes and black beans. Continue cooking 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until mixture is heated through.
- Heat tortilla bowls as directed on package. Divide sweet potato and black bean mixture among bowls. Drizzle a little of the lime and honey sauce over each; garnish with green onion and pepitas.
- Pepita is Spanish for pumpkin seeds. You can find them hulled and raw or roasted. To roast: Spread raw pepitas in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Roast in 325°F oven, stirring occasionally, 10 to 13 minutes or until golden.
- For this recipe, look for sweet potatoes with a red skin and orange flesh.
- Cooking Vegetarian? Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is vegetarian. Products and ingredient sources can change.