Slow Cooker Fajita Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Avocado Onion Slaw
- 4 Servings
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) halved and thinly sliced onion
- 1 pkg (8 large) Old El Pasoᵀᴹ Smart Fiestaᵀᴹ made with Whole Grain Tortillas
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Old El Pasoᵀᴹ Thick N' Chunky Mild Salsa
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) ground cumin
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
- 1 medium avocado, cubed
- Spray 4-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook pork in oil 6 to 8 minutes or until brown on both sides. Place pork in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until pork pulls apart easily with fork.
- Remove pork from slow cooker; shred pork. Reserve 1/4 cup liquid in slow cooker; discard remaining liquid. Stir pork, salsa, chili powder and cumin into liquid in slow cooker.
- In medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, vinegar and salt. Gently stir in avocado and onion. To serve, place pork in tortillas; top with avocado-onion slaw and chopped cilantro.
- The avocado-onion slaw adds creaminess as well as crunch, but for those who are not avocado fans, try substituting diced tomato or shredded lettuce in its place.
- If you have no chili powder or cumin on hand, substitute 1 3/4 teaspoons Old El Paso* Smart Fiesta* Sodium Reduced Taco Seasoning Mix in their place.