Slow Cooker Fajita Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Avocado Onion Slaw
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless pork shoulder roast, trimmed
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) halved and thinly sliced onion
- 1 pkg (8 large) Old El Pasoᵀᴹ Smart Fiestaᵀᴹ made with Whole Grain Tortillas
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) Old El Pasoᵀᴹ Thick N' Chunky Mild Salsa
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 3/4 tsp (3 mL) ground cumin
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white vinegar
- 1 medium avocado, cubed
- Spray 4-quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook pork in oil 6 to 8 minutes or until brown on both sides. Place pork in slow cooker. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until pork pulls apart easily with fork.
- Remove pork from slow cooker; shred pork. Reserve 1/4 cup liquid in slow cooker; discard remaining liquid. Stir pork, salsa, chili powder and cumin into liquid in slow cooker.
- In medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, vinegar and salt. Gently stir in avocado and onion. To serve, place pork in tortillas; top with avocado-onion slaw and chopped cilantro.
- The avocado-onion slaw adds creaminess as well as crunch, but for those who are not avocado fans, try substituting diced tomato or shredded lettuce in its place.
- If you have no chili powder or cumin on hand, substitute 1 3/4 teaspoons Old El Paso* Smart Fiesta* Sodium Reduced Taco Seasoning Mix in their place.
From time to time, reformulations of products may alter nutrient value, ingredients and/or allergens. Maintaining on-line information accuracy at all times can be difficult. In the event of a conflict between the data that is shown on this site and that which is on the package, the data on the package should be the primary resource for accurate and up to date data for the product in the package.