Chipotle Salsa Ribs
Total 6 Hours 10 Minutes
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) garlic pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground ginger
- 4 pounds (2 kg) pork loin back ribs (not cut into serving pieces)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Old El Paso Thick N' Chunky Salsa
- 1 to 2 chipotle chiles (from 200 g can) finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) orange marmalade
- Mix all Southwestern Rub ingredients in small bowl. Rub mixture over ribs. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 12 hours.
- Heat coals or gas grill for indirect heat. If using charcoal grill, place drip pan directly under grilling area, and arrange coals around edge of firebox. Place ribs over drip pan or over unheated side of gas grill. Cover and grill over medium heat 1 hour 30 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally, until tender.
- Mix salsa, chipotle peppers and marmalade in small bowl. Brush over ribs during last 10 to 15 minutes of grilling. Heat remaining salsa mixture to boiling; boil and stir 1 minute. Cut ribs into serving-size pieces. Serve salsa mixture with ribs.
- Substitution: Pork loin back ribs are the leanest and most tender ribs, but you also could use pork spareribs. Plan on cooking them for the same amount of time.
- Special Touch: Arrange these robust ribs on a platter surrounded with sprigs of fresh cilantro and halved orange slices.
- Did You Know?: When food is cooked away from the heat source, it's called ""indirect-heat"" grilling. This is the best way to cook large and long-cooking foods, such as these ribs, because the indirect heat won't overcook the food. Because there's no fire under the food, there's also less chance of burning during the longer cooking time.
From time to time, reformulations of products may alter nutrient value, ingredients and/or allergens. Maintaining on-line information accuracy at all times can be difficult. In the event of a conflict between the data that is shown on this site and that which is on the package, the data on the package should be the primary resource for accurate and up to date data for the product in the package.