Piled High Salsa Pie
A taco dinner kit makes quick work of a tasty layered Mexican pie.
40 Minutes Total
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground beef or chopped boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 box Old El Pasoᵀᴹ Soft Taco Bakeᵀᴹ Dinner Kit
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 jar (440 mL) Old El Pasoᵀᴹ Thick N' Chunky Salsa
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Heat oven to 400ºF. In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef or chicken, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain. Stir in seasoning mix (from dinner kit), water and half of the cheese sauce (from dinner kit). Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-high. Simmer uncovered 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in kidney beans and remaining cheese sauce; heat until hot.
- In ungreased 2-quart casserole, place 1 tortilla (from dinner kit). Layer with 1/4 of the salsa, beef mixture and cheese. Repeat layers, using up ingredients and ending with cheese on top.
- Cover; bake 17 to 22 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes.