Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Burritos
- Serves 8
The pulled pork part of this recipe is one of our staff's personal recipes!
- 4 lb (2 kg) boneless pork shoulder blade roast
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1 pkg Old El PasoTM Chili Seasoning Mix
- 1 can (156 mL) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Old El PasoTM Thick N' Chunky Salsa
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp (2 to 3 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) crushed pineapples
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) diced onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pkg (6 inch) Old El PasoTM Medium Flour Tortillas or 1 pkg Old El PasoTM Hard Taco Shells
- Your Favourite Toppings (shredded lettuce and cheese, chopped onions, tomatoes, cilantro)
- Combine rub ingredients and thoroughly rub into pork. Cover and refrigerate 8 to 24 hours.
- Combine all sauce ingredients and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pot, heat 2 tbsp of the vegetable oil over medium high heat; brown pork on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- In same skillet or pot, heat remaining 1 tbsp vegetable oil and cook onions over medium heat until softened. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Stir in sauce and bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour heated sauce over pork in slow cooker. Cover and cook 6 to 7 hours on low heat.
- Remove from cooker; cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes. Shred pork using two forks.
- While pork is standing; skim fat from liquid in slow cooker. Pour liquid ionto a large pot and bring to a boil. Add shredded pork and cook until heated through.
- Warm tortillas or taco shells according to package directions.
- Fill warmed shells with pulled pork mixture and top as desired.